View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #30
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316
Default Re: Pittsburgh Sports Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting View Post
As a 19 year old, I have yet to see the Pirates above .500. Fortunately, I've been able to see 2 Lombardi's and a Stanley Cup. I love football and Hockey, along with basketball, but there isn't anything like baseball. My issue with the Huntington/Nutting era thus far has been their free agent signings. Over spending for washed up veterans has really hurt the club in my opinion, Barajas, Barmes, Overbay, Iwamura, Bedard, the list goes on. You can't come up short that many times as a small market team.

When Huntington first arrived everyone knew that the Pirates were going to go into massive rebuilding mode. What hurt the team was all the misses early on with those trades, Joel Hanrahan was the only player out of that early group that I would consider successful.
I hear you, the FA signings have been mostly questionable. Huntingdon also fails to keep these players around. Hanrahan is gone after 2 very good years with the Pirates. Yes he was due $7-8 million for 2013, but with everything he has done for the team and how he is one of the best closers in the game, why let him walk? Pony up and spend the $ to keep him around!!

Management needs to stop being cheap and spend $ to keep a team together. They can't continue to sign FAs for 1-2 years, then let them walk, especially if they have made significant contributions - Hanrahan, Burnett (he's still around), etc. Same goes for young talent. It would be total blasphemy if in a few years if the team lets McCutchen, Alvarez, Walker and players of the like leave.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote