Old 03-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #40
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,176 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Keenan Lewis hints at 'a secret'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
I don't care about stats when it comes to players performance. It's very misleading. I use the eye test. I dissect the team and its players. I consistently see Lewis a day late and a dollar short. He never had to face any of the stud receivers and when he did, our team lost and he was average. He can't keep up with receivers on their breaks. It's both his lack of ability and his lack of skill. I am sure he will get a nice contract but the team that does will regret it. If you can't put your corner on an island with the games best receivers then he isn't worth the money. But Lewis can't even cover number two's. Yes his stats show he had so many pass defends but this was against really subpar passing attacks, where he was thrown at instead of at Ike, so with increased chances come increased defends. That would be okay if he was like a lot of the other suspect corners who get picked on who at least get INT once in a while. Lewis does not.

Just because he is better than what we have does not make him worth what he is seeking. It's a condemnation of our total failure at addressing this position over the last decade. Total failure. So in comparison to Gay, Lewis is head and shoulders better. In comparison to Ike, Ike is as much superior to Lewis as Lewis is to Gay.
Lewis was a man cover corner at Oregon St. It took him a couple years to adjust to playing off man coverage. He finally has all his technique down to go along with his size, speed and understanding of the NFL game.

I hate leaning on stats too, but the passes defended seem to show he is breaking up more passes than most other NFL CB's. I see a guy that is playing great as an NFL CB, but you think he is merely a nickle corner. So I guess by your estimation, William Gay will be an upgrade.