ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: my anti-theism is coming out tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I still prefer the Old Atheists:

Bertrand Russell -
“And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence”

“So far as I can remember there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.”

“If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.”

“No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin; he does not say, 'You are a wicked motorcar, and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go.' He attempts to find out what is wrong and to set it right.”

“I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world. ”

Friedrich Nietzsche -
"Belief in the truth commences with the doubting of all those “truths” we once believed."

"The church is precisely that against which Jesus preached -- and against which he taught his disciples to fight."

"Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."

"God is a thought which makes crooked all that is straight."

"
That everyone as an “immortal soul” has equal rank with everyone else, that in the totality of living beings the “salvation” of every single individual may claim eternal significance, that little prigs and three-quarter madmen may have the conceit that the laws of nature are constantly broken for their sakes—such an intensification of every kind of selfishness into the infinite, into the impertinent, cannot be branded with too much contempt. And yet Christianity owes its triumph to this miserable flattery of personal vanity: it was precisely all the failures, all the rebellious-minded, all the less favored, the whole scum and refuse of humanity who were thus won over to it. The “salvation of the soul"—in plain language: “the world revolves around me.”

Mark Twain -

"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it..."

Protagoras -
"Man is the measure of all things, of things that are that they are, of things that are not that they are not."

Aristophanes -
"Open your mouth and shut your eyes, and see what Zeus shall send you."