In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,543 Times in 2,684 Posts
My Mood: Sad
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Well that goes into a whole myriad of other problems. I'll take it point by point.

If someone has that kind of drug habit, chances are the kids are going to be taken away anyhow. No cost difference. Plus, I don't mind my taxes going to something good like helping out kids who've done nothing wrong. They'll have a better chance of becoming contributing members of society this way.

For the people who aren't there mentally, as I said, for those that are too mentally or physically disabled to find work, there are a number of programs to help them. Those programs as it stands need tweeking, especially our mental health facilities. I'm fine with taxes going to help those as well. If they are truly mentally ill, they shouldn't be in a welfare office to begin with. They should be handled through a different medium. That's a whole other system though that needs dealt with.

As for having the money to pay for stuff like this...we have the money, it's just being wasted on needless government programs, and there are too many of those to list here. Cutting down on military spending and ending the war on drugs could probably by themselves pay for making the welfare system more functional.

These ARE easy solutions, but we are talking about the gov't here, so common sense isn't exactly at the forefront.

In your response you were fine with your tax money going for things which I agree with but will not pass a budget fight.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote