View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Holmes Released. Pleads Not Guilty.

Steeler Santonio Holmes charged with domestic violence, released from custody
Monday, June 19, 2006

By Shelley Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers 2006 first-round draft pick Santonio Holmes was released on a $3,500 recognizance bond this afternoon in Columbus after he was arrested late last night on charges of domestic violence and an outstanding warrant for a minor traffic violation.

He entered a plea of not guilty.

According to two Columbus police spokesmen, Holmes, 22, was arrested at an apartment just after midnight after Columbus police responded to a call from a woman who is the mother of Holmes' youngest child, Shaniya, 4 months.

After talking with the woman, who has not been identified, police arrested Holmes, who had returned to the apartment while police were taking a report. Holmes was described as cooperative.

"Nobody's injured. There was no injuries," Holmes' lawyer, Samuel Shamansky said of the incident.

The former Ohio State receiver originally was to be arraigned tommorrow morning, but that was moved up at the request of Shamansky and the sheriff's department. Holmes appeared in prison khakis and handcuffs before Judge Anne Taylor.

According to Shamansky, the alleged victim was present at the arraignment and requested that Holmes be released.

"I think that it's upsetting, but he's doing just fine," Shamansky said of Holmes. "He takes the matter very seriously and looks forward to putting the whole thing behind him."

It was Holmes' second arrest since being selected in the first round of the NFL draft. He was arrested in South Beach, Fla., for disorderly conduct during a Memorial Day weekend crackdown by local authorities.

Steelers Coach Bill Cowher criticized Holmes the following week, but said he wouldn't hold the incident against the former Ohio State receiver.

"Whatever he did wrong, I don't think he handled it properly," Cowher said then. "I think he'll learn from it and understand the scrutiny he's under. We have not talked face to face about it. I don't have any long-term concerns."