Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,250 Posts
My Mood: Cold
Default Re: NHL offseason talk

Penguins hire Jacques Martin as assistant coach.

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Penguins have hired Jacques Martin as an assistant coach, it was announced today by General Manager Ray Shero and Head Coach Dan Bylsma.

Martin, 60, a former NHL head coach with St. Louis, Ottawa, Florida and Montreal, joins Tony Granato and Todd Reirden as assistants on Bylsma’s staff.

Jacques Martin (Getty Images)

The native of St-Pascal, Ontario has spent a lifetime in coaching, including stints as an assistant with Chicago, Quebec and Colorado in the NHL. He was an associate coach for the 2002 Canadian Olympic team that won a gold medal in St. Lake City and served in the same capacity for Canada at the 2006 Olympics in Turin, Italy. In addition to his coaching experience, he served in the dual role of General Manager and head coach with the Florida Panthers from 2006-08.

“Jacques is a highly-respected and accomplished coach who will be a tremendous addition to our staff,” Shero said. “He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to our organization because of his extensive background as a head coach and an assistant.”

“I know we’re all going to benefit from having Jacques Martin on our staff,” Bylsma said. “Jacques and I have spent a great deal of time over the last few weeks discussing this possibility. It will be great to have another voice, another perspective – especially from a man of Jacque’s experience. We’re all looking forward for getting together as a staff and preparing for the coming season.”
Read the rest here: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home