View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Penguins Select Jordan Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
But about this current pick. Of course he isn't going to be on the Sidney Crosby level of talent. But was it a good pick for the Pens? I thought they needed some defensivemen or if I'm wrong on that let me now. When the NHL season does start I'll try like every year to get into it.
Well, we were picking 2nd overall in the draft. Eitherway your going to grab a good hockey player. Staal will be special in my opinion. I think he will compliment both Malkin and Crosby very nicely. Staal also comes from good hockey stalk. He has two older brothers in the NHL, Eric being the most noted. Recently won the cup with Carolina and is one hell of a hockey player.

As for defenseman. We did take three defenseman in this draft after drafting Staal. With the exception of Erik Johnson, there wasn't a defenseman taken until the 16th overall pick. It's hard passing up on a kid like Staal in order to take Ty Wishart (16th overall). For the most part I think we made the right decisions. We got a damn good future forward to play with Crosby, Malkin and Armstrong while also stacking up on our defense.

With the exception of Staal, the one player I'm going to keep a close eye on is defenseman Carl Sneep. Kid is 6-4 210. I would love to see this kid turn into a good, solid, punishing defensive/defenseman. We have not had that since Ulf Samuelson. Should be fun to watch.