Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,405 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Default Two Hawkeyes the Steelers could legitimately look at

A bit of a homer thread seeing as I'm an Iowa Hawkeyes fan (born and raised) but I got to thinking and I think there's two guys on the Hawkeyes roster right now that the Steelers could legitimately look into come the 2014 NFL Draft.

1. Brandon Scherff OT Iowa 6ft 5" 315lbs - Scherff is a prototypical Iowa Left Tackle. An excellent mauler in the running game, and he's also a very good pass blocker as well. Just a blue chip hard working kind of guy with a high motor. Reminds me a lot of Riley Reiff who is currently the Lions starting LT. Doesn't get the recognition of some other bigger names like Cyrus Kouandjio for example so he could be available maybe into the 2nd Round or 3rd Round (highly doubt it) if he so chooses to enter the 2014 draft and to forgo his Senior season at Iowa. I think he can definitely follow in Reilly Reiff, and Bryan Bulaga's footsteps.He's also pretty strong as you can see in this video:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa 6ft 7" 265lbs
- Fiedorowicz is freakishly tall and has all the intangibles on paper to be a nightmare in the passing game in the NFL. In my opinion he's under utilized in our offense at Iowa but he has a knack for making big plays in big situations. Caught a game winning TD in OT against the Northwestern Wildcats last Saturday. His blocking has gotten much better with time, and he's obviously athletic. Has great hands, and is a good route runner. I'd love to see what he could do if Heath Miller took him under his wing.

Perhaps I'm grabbing at straws but these guys are legitimate talents that could very well be draft prospects at positions of need for the Steelers. We're still looking for a franchise LT, and David Paulson just hasn't been cutting it. Matt Spaeth still hasn't seen the field, and with all the time he's been out who knows how effective he can be. Fiedorowicz has the sheer size and physical intangibles to be the good receiving and blocking TE we like to see in the Steelers offense. A year of NFL conditioning could make a world of difference for Fiedorowicz as well.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927; 10-29-2013 at 06:36 AM.
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Bayz101 (12-02-2013), GBMelBlount (10-29-2013), harrison'samonster (10-30-2013)