BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: The irony about building a complete football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If there's one irony about building a complete football team, it's that it's easier to build a complete team around a franchise QB than it is to find a franchise QB for an otherwise complete team. Just remember that the next time anybody considers trading Ben Roethlisberger to be a worthwhile endeavor. If those people had their way, the Steelers would be built like the Texans: a complete team without a QB, and no legitimate chance at winning a championship. The Steelers have already experienced that dilemma themselves, during the 1990's and early 2000's.

The QB is the most important position on a football team by far, and the most difficult to find. If you have a proven winner at QB, you keep him and you rebuild around him, like the Broncos did with John Elway. I don't want to hear about Joe Montana or Brett Favre either, because they were replaced by Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers. I don't see a QB of their caliber on the Steelers bench. Commit to Roethlisberger with a contract extension; make him the centerpiece of the team, and get back to the playoffs by 2015 at the latest.
If anyone should know that, it's the Rooney's.