Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,341 Times in 3,989 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Jarvis Jones benched in favor of Worilds

Woodley knows the feeling

LaMarr Woodley can understand why Jarvis Jones might be struggling a little bit in Dick LeBeau's defense to the point he was demoted from his starting job at right outside linebacker

"All linebackers that come in, if a first-rounder or free agent, everyone struggles with this defense," Woodley said.

"This is a hard defense to learn, playing this 3-4 defense. We all struggled with it. I definitely know as a rookie I struggled with this defense."

Unlike Jones, who played outside linebacker in Georgia's 3-4 defense, Woodley played end in Michigan's 4-3 defense.

He did not start as a rookie -- indeed, Jones was the only outside linebacker to win a starting job in the 3-4 in 31 years here.

"I didn't understand the linebacker position," said Woodley, who has half the team's 10 sacks and ranks fifth on their career list with 57.

"It was just me studying the playbook and getting a better understanding of the whole position."

He said he has not tried to boost Jones' morale since the demotion came to light Tuesday.

"You have to motivate yourself. You have to do it yourself. That's how I feel about it. Nothing against Jarvis.

"We talk every day. His spirit is not low. His spirit is high.

"If his spirit was low, I'd talk to him, but his spirits are high."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2...s/201310310213