View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Penguins Hire Assistant Coach

If I'm going to go out and spend big cash, I would rather spend the big bucks on Peca or Sykora. At the right price Sykora could be a solid player to sign in order to address the team needs at scoring from the wing. A one year deal, maybe two between $1.5 and $3 million per year. I wouldn't really want to offer him $3 mill, but they do have a hole to fill and they do need to get to the salary floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dvorak given a shot either/instead, if only because Dvorak brings other things to the table if he's not scoring, most notably speed and penalty killing. He'd likely be cheaper than Sykora as well.

I think all three could bring more to this team (faceoffs, playing both ends, penalty killing) than Shanny who is 37-38 years old. While I agree that Shero should go out and open up the wallet to a degree, I think he should choose to do so wisely. Last season was a perfect lesson (Palffy, Gonchar, Recchi). We also have to wonder if this is where Shanny would want to be at this point in his career. Does he want that leadership/veteran teacher role?

As for Samsonov, between injuries and the fact that he was invisible during these past playoffs, I'm not sure if he's worth the money. The guy never lived up to the hype. I remember many stating he was the next Pavel Bure. For the most part I like Samsonov's skill but not his injury history, probable price-tag or penchant for never scoring as much as he should due to the afore-mentioned injury history and tendancy to float. Pass.

Also, more from Shero............

"Shero said he does not expect to compete for any of the big-name free agents -- guys such as Anson Carter, Sergei Samsonov, Danny Markov and Brendan Shanahan -- still on the market."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06186/703378-61.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-05-2006 at 10:09 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote