Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,573 Times in 2,509 Posts
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Re: Money Isn't Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
So my wife and I have decided to make some big changes in our lives. She just graduated from Northern Illinois University with a BA in Psychology. Our original plan was for her to get a full-time job once she graduated and I would make the 1.5 hour journey to NIU to finish my degree. However, her final year at school went so well it's caused a change of plans. Several of her professors thought she would do extraordinarily well in graduate school.
She has applied for the Masters program at NIU in Sociology and I have applied for a BS in Sociology (I already have an AA in General Education). We're planning on selling our home so that we can move closer to campus, and I will be quitting my (well-paying, but soul-sucking) job as it would be much too far away and I wouldn't have the time to work there and go to school. I'm also looking to get out of IT so that I can do something in the non-profit sector.
We will most likely be living off of whatever profit we make from selling our home, shitty local jobs, and student loans. Our standard of living will become much lower than it currently is, but we believe that in the long run, our lives will be much better for it. Has anyone else taken a big risk for their future? If so, do you have any advice or anecdotes that will keep me from worrying all of the time?
It's very obvious you and your wife have a very loving and supportive relationship. That, in and of itself, is priceless.

Nothing worth having comes easy. With a lot of hard work and determination, you will both ultimately realize your dreams.

Please extend my congratulations to your wife on her achievement. Good luck and best wishes, Jon.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (01-04-2014), The_Joker (01-04-2014)