View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #24
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,302 Times in 3,482 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Money Isn't Everything

I got out of the military because although it was a stable (money wise) job, I wanted to live in Hawaii. I had no college credits getting out of the service, so I had to start from scratch all over again at 24. For a while I was depressed because my friends and everyone else I met had their careers / jobs and life ahead of them, while I was starting over and having to live with family until I got back on my feet. It was a struggle, but worth it in the end.

It paid off, about halfway through school I got hooked up with a temp job working IT + the GI bill which allowed me to live pretty well and pay the bills. It worked out so well that they offered me a more permanent spot. I'm still working there, and life's been great.

I probably am a lot happier now than if I had stayed in the service. It wasn't necessarily a bad life, but nothing beats home. And although getting deployed was a part of the job / contract when you sign up for the military, it wasn't the most pleasant experience. I'd rather go places on my own terms and I don't think the lifestyle in the military was for me, though I don't regret joining. A lot of life experiences happened that make me appreciate life in general much more, and the GI bill paid my way through school.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (01-11-2014)