Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #27
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,783 Times in 3,796 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Again...Bettis NOT a Hall Of Famer

He just may be the best closer in the NFL over the course of his career. How many times did the Steelers have a lead with anywhere from 2-7 minutes left in the game, and Bettis would impose his will and grind out the clock to secure victory. That in itself is an amazing accomplishment, and the Steelers record with a lead in the fourth quarter while The Bus was the starting RB is astounding.

That's not necessarily a stat, but it sure as shit defines how this man got it done on the field, when everyone knew he was going to get the ball. There have been a ton of running backs that can make runs and gains yards when the offense is balanced, or when the offensive line is dominating. Not many can make something out of nothing. How many times did you see Jerome Bettis being met in the hole by a linebacker at the line of scrimmage, only to see him push the pile for two or three yards. Or turn what would be a 3-4 yard gain for almost any other back into an 8-10 yard gain on power and sheer force of will.

In his prime, if you had a third or fourth down and had to gain one or two yards to gain with everything on the line, there's not another back I'd take ahead of him.

That's how I'll remember The Bus. He's a HOF running back.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-14-2014), emarines (01-14-2014), SteelCityMom (01-14-2014), teegre (01-14-2014)