View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #16
PeckerWood
Team Owner

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,568 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: The Polar Vortex returns next week

Actually, they're saying there never really was a polar vortex visit in the first place. NBC cites The Weather Channel in explaining: "The 'polar vortex' is a real weather phenomenon, just not one that actually visits the United States."

The Weather Channel adds the polar vortex is a circular weather pattern that has always been stationed above the arctic.

Think of it as a wheel. When the polar vortex weakens, a spoke of that wheel branches out beyond it's normal circular pattern, releasing a powerful chill like the one we saw earlier this month.

But, the polar vortex itself never actually descends into our latitude.

The Washington Post says the coming arctic blast may not be as cold as earlier this month, but that "this cold wave may be more memorable for its persistence, rather than its intensity."

In several areas of the country, once temperatures hit freezing Tuesday, they are expected to remain that low for more than a week and a half.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/nationa...-vortex/nctzf/

Alberta Clipper like fansince72 said. that's what it was called when I lived up north growing up. one thing I know when it get down in the single digit temp in the Atlanta area its fucking cold. glad I don't have to deal with the sub zero temps. any more.
PeckerWood is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeckerWood For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-21-2014)