Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,312 Times in 3,648 Posts
Default Re: More Evidence Goodell Is Overpaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
So, you're saying the NFL does more for charity than Susan G. Komen?
Umm - no - I am saying the NFL should not be able to avoid tax liability for its operations

I am no fan of Komen For The Cure once it turned hard right after former Georgia Secretary of State Karen Handel came on board, but at least Komen purports to be involved in raising funds which primarily go to other groups.

In 2011, the foundation spent 15 percent, or $63 million, of its donations on research awards that fund studies on everything from hard-core molecular biology to the quality of breast-cancer care for Medicaid patients....

That proportion was down from 17 percent in 2009 and 2010. In 2008, that percentage reached 29 percent of donations. The annual financial statements cover April 1 through March 31.

Komen reports spending a total of $685 million for research in the past 30 years, a considerable sum in private cancer philanthropy, and its money goes to a wide variety of initiatives.

"In 2011, 83 cents of every dollar spent went to mission programs," spokeswoman Leslie Aun said in an email statement to Reuters. "We're the only organization doing breast cancer on all these fronts - in research, global work, advocacy and community work."

The organization's 2011 financial statement reports that 43 percent of donations were spent on education, 18 percent on fund-raising and administration, 15 percent on research awards and grants, 12 percent on screening and 5 percent on treatment. (Various other items accounted for the rest.).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8171KW20120208

Or is Komen actually giving 1% of its donations to third parties?

The author of the previous linked piece called the NFL a charity - it actually has tax exempt status a trade or industry association under section 501(c)(6) of the IRC, not tax exempt status as a charitable organization under 501(c)(3) of the IRC. I do not care if the NFL is tax exempt under under any statute - it is a very profitable business that has no legitimate grounds (only than lobbying muscle with Congress) to achieve tax exemption; at least one Senator agrees with me.

A more detailed discussion here

Examining NFL's tax-exempt status

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...tor-tom-coburn
GodfatherofSoul (01-22-2014), harrison'samonster (01-22-2014)