View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,637 Posts
Default Re: Can Steelers count on AB,Wheaton, Moye/Cotchery next season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
That's why I consider it to be the last piece of the puzzle for an offense. We have the QB, we have invested heavily in the OL(which should see its true benefits this year, hopefully), we have a TE, all we need is that second playmaker.

Also, a WR is valued more by FO's than any other position on offense, save for QB, as the investments they put into the position is crazy high (in terms of monetary value).
I think we have enough playmakers on the team in Brown, Bell, Miller and I honestly think many will be pleasantly surprised with Wheaton.

As for the monetary value invested by teams at the WR position, I disagree. Look at the Seahawks and their bunch of no name guys, with a FA in Harvin. 49ers have money invested in Crabtree and Boldin, but largely a group of OK receivers. Same with Broncos, Patriots really have nobody, but Brady seems to get yardage thru the air. I think the knee jerk managed teams invest too heavily in Free Agent WR's to compensate for sometimes poor QB play. Just look at the Dolphins.

A good QB can make average WR's productive. Steelers have Roethlisberger with a Pro Bowler to throw to in Brown. Surround him with some more decent players like Wheaton, Justin Brown, Cotchery, etc......especially in the controlled passing game the Steelers run.

Most important positions on Offense are QB and those who keep the QB upright. Steelers have a good RB and marquee WR. Having another top WR is a luxury, while upgrading CB, Pass Rusher, NT, Safety are more necessities, IMO.