Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I don't buy this. I think the whole "he wanted to go home" is a cop out answer for a flawed player philosophy. Ike Taylor wasn't ever worth the money we gave to him.
Agreed Lewis wanted to leave looks like a cover story

Steelers were not going to pay to keep both Lewis and Taylor for the same reason they are not going to keep both Woodley and Worilds - their strategy is not to collectively sink too many dollars into any position other than QB, where you are stuck paying top $ for a top shelf QB. And they were reluctant to pay Lewis without a longer track record as a starter (although they are now probably going to pay Worilds)

Props to Gerry Dulac of the P-G for saying Lewis should stay and Ike should go 11 months ago

Question from my weekly chat: Have the #Steelers spoken with Keenan Lewis? My answer....

I'm sure they have. I think the Steelers want to re-sign Lewis, but I also think they believe he is going to test the free agent market and that some team will overpay and make him a big offer -- an offer the Steelers won't match. Plus, the Steelers are comfortable knowing they have Cortez Allen behind Lewis.
It's too bad. I think the Steelers needed to see one more good year out of Lewis before they would give him a big contract. He's a good young player and it will be too bad if he is not re-signed. Personally, if you have to make tough financial decisions, I'd rather see them get rid of Ike Taylor and keep Lewis and Allen.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...-bfd990515b89/
EbonySteel86 (02-17-2014), SteelersCanada (02-16-2014)