Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,407 Times in 4,388 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Agreed Lewis wanted to leave looks like a cover story

Steelers were not going to pay to keep both Lewis and Taylor for the same reason they are not going to keep both Woodley and Worilds - their strategy is not to collectively sink too many dollars into any position other than QB, where you are stuck paying top $ for a top shelf QB. And they were reluctant to pay Lewis without a longer track record as a starter (although they are now probably going to pay Worilds)

Props to Gerry Dulac of the P-G for saying Lewis should stay and Ike should go 11 months ago

Question from my weekly chat: Have the #Steelers spoken with Keenan Lewis? My answer....

I'm sure they have. I think the Steelers want to re-sign Lewis, but I also think they believe he is going to test the free agent market and that some team will overpay and make him a big offer -- an offer the Steelers won't match. Plus, the Steelers are comfortable knowing they have Cortez Allen behind Lewis.
It's too bad. I think the Steelers needed to see one more good year out of Lewis before they would give him a big contract. He's a good young player and it will be too bad if he is not re-signed. Personally, if you have to make tough financial decisions, I'd rather see them get rid of Ike Taylor and keep Lewis and Allen.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...-bfd990515b89/
I fear they're going to resign Worilds to try and right the Lewis wrong. They should have let (and probably will) Worilds walk and retained Lewis. The fact that they didn't once again brings up our flawed player philosophy about kicking the can down the road with unproductive players for sentimental reasons, but I digress.

Dulac overestimated the contract that Lewis got. It would have been nice to cut ties with Ike at this time last year, resign Lewis and have him play opposite Allen. I'd go as far as saying that we wouldn't have lost the Vikings game and we wouldn't have given up 55 points to the Patriots. Tack on two wins, and we're competing for the AFC North. Once again, I digress.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I really hope they don't try to right the Lewis wrong by signing Worilds.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-16-2014)