View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #47
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,970 Times in 1,789 Posts
Default Re: Sports illustrateds "footballs greatest" features right steelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Do they actually think that those nine teams on top of the Steelers would beat them? I'm not saying that we would go 9-0 against them if we played the full schedule. Probably 7-2. What I am saying is that in a single game matchup like the Super Bowl we would beat each of those teams. Hands-down.
The most egregious ones are the 1991 Redskins (good and all, but Rypien and Byner would not have bested the 70's Steelers in any era's rules) and the 1972 Dolphins (the 72 Steelers lost to them 21-17... so you're telling me that the superior 78 squad doesn't win that game by at least 6 points?). I would also question why the 07 Patriots, who got knocked around vs. an aggressive pass rush like the Giants (and Ravens on MNF), would be ranked above a team like the Steelers who were notorious for a fearsome front four.

The reasons are understandable due to the results bias (teams like the 07 Pats scored at a historic clip/set records, which leads one to believe that they're superior to a team like the 78 Steelers), but still frustrating.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote