Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,470 Times in 10,333 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I would not trust Nick Saban (aka Nick Satan to SEC football fans) with a burnt match

If he is peddling the story on background that he wanted Brees since Brees would have been great consider the source

Was Brees still the starter in 2005 at San Diego? I know back then teams still had a first round QB sit to learn the game (e.g. - Carson Palmer) until rookie season's such as Ben's led to throwing the rookie QB into the deep end to see if he can swim

If Brees really was offered a $50 million contract by San Diego that was a lot of $$$$ for a backup
SABAN
That's what a lot of the ESPN analysts have said.

BREES
Yes, he started in 2005. And, Rivers was going to start in 2006 no matter what. The injury was a "blessing" for the Chargers: it made it easier for the fans to accept getting rid of a fan-favorite.,

$50 million... if I remember correctly, it was loaded with poison pills/impossible incentives... one if which being: playing time. He had to play "x" number of snaps, and since Rivers was going to start, he would only have earned about half of that money... and then, other incentives would have dropped that total even lower.

The local guys on radio said it was a sham of an offer.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-20-2014)