View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,073 Posts
Default Re: Steelers run defense needs help but a nose tackle might not be the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
A dominate NT is useless if offenses forces us to take that position off the field(But I agree if its a dominate NT it wouldn't hurt) But we wouldn't even be talking about the NT position if our LBs could tackle earlier in the season. fix the LB corp and better DE play beside Heyward the defense will be fine.
I think that any one of McLendon, Woods, Hood to play the other DE would be fine beside Heyward. Still a true NT up the middle that takes up 2 gaps is truly needed.

If teams want to go 4 and 5 wide to take a NT off the field that is fine. Anybody on the front 7 loves when they know its a pass and they can pin back and rush the QB. When there is the threat of a run, they have to play it honest.

I really don't understand why fans bitch about having to take a NT off the field, or if a guy only plays 50% of the time. A.J. Green had 98 receptions last season....he makes 6 PLAYS PER GAME . Nobody complains that a WR only makes a significant impact on 6-10 plays per game, yet they whine about a D Lineman only playing 15-20 snaps.

The NFL is all about situational football and if you don't have the right players for those situations, you get exposed and abused in that situation. Last year the Steelers got abused at the rate of 4.3 YPC by opponents and run defense starts up front.