View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021
Default Re: Steelers run defense needs help but a nose tackle might not be the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think that any one of McLendon, Woods, Hood to play the other DE would be fine beside Heyward. Still a true NT up the middle that takes up 2 gaps is truly needed.

If teams want to go 4 and 5 wide to take a NT off the field that is fine. Anybody on the front 7 loves when they know its a pass and they can pin back and rush the QB. When there is the threat of a run, they have to play it honest.

I really don't understand why fans bitch about having to take a NT off the field, or if a guy only plays 50% of the time. A.J. Green had 98 receptions last season....he makes 6 PLAYS PER GAME . Nobody complains that a WR only makes a significant impact on 6-10 plays per game, yet they whine about a D Lineman only playing 15-20 snaps.

The NFL is all about situational football and if you don't have the right players for those situations, you get exposed and abused in that situation. Last year the Steelers got abused at the rate of 4.3 YPC by opponents and run defense starts up front.
I'm sorry, but this post reeks of ignorance. First off, the main issue with NT's coming off the field is when the offense is in a THREE wide set, where an extra CB is needed. Having a NT on the field in a three wide set nearly guarantees that the defense will be playing zone. How often do you want a safety manned on a slot receiver with a LB guarding a TE? Furthermore, in a three wide set, the offense still has enough man power up front to successfully run the ball. The three wide set is the most dangerous set on offense because of the multiple ways it can attack the defense.

If you want to run the nickel 3-3-5 when facing a three wide set, then the NT better be able to rush the passer, as you're taking a potential pass rusher off the field in a linebacker. That fourth linebacker also allows you to do more in your coverages.

And a WR does way more than just catch the ball. Come on man that's just a down right stupid comment. You think a defense doesn't account for a stud wide out every play during the game? Do you really think that the only positive impact a receiver can have is when he has the ball in his hands?

The YPC stat is meaningless without context. Youre blaming the starting NT for the 4.3 YPC when he was only on the field for 33% of the defensive snaps last year. I don't think anybody is saying that a good NT isn't a need or that it isn't valuable to a defense. The issue I have with the position is that people believe its such a need that it deserves a day one and even day two pick. It just doesn't. Take a flier on a guy late in the draft, coach him up and feedbhis fat ass and hell be as successful and play as much as thebguy we would have spent the first rounder on.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote