Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,420 Posts
Default Re: Steelers looking to extend Heath Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Bruce Arians: 'Heath Miller is the best tight end in the NFL'

By Simon Sinclair, Reporter
Filed: Friday, February 21, 2014

Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians believes that Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Heath Miller is the best in the NFL because of his ability as a blocker.

Arians used to coach Miller at the Steelers as his offensive coordinator and feels that he provides better value at the position over players who just catch passes.

He told reporters: "The tight end for me, I'm old school. You've got to block first and catch passes,.

"That's why I loved Heath Miller. I still think Heath Miller's the best tight end in the National Football League, not because he catches 90 passes, because he blocks big defensive ends, and he catches about 60-70 passes.

"The guys that line up as wide receivers might get tagged as wide receivers. But, you know, tight ends for me block first, catch second."

Arians had an excellent first season at the Cardinals guiding them to a 10-6 record in 2013.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/american...fl_140056.html
Because Arizona is always looking to see if we're going to drop someone.

I feel so much better about Heath Miller now that St. Arians has blessed him.

Seriously though, Heath Miller is the best all-purpose tight end for the past decade. All he did was become a reliable target for Ben for their entire careers. He came back and averaged 10.2 yards a catch in an offense with multiple targets. To get almost 60 receptions when you had Brown get 1500 yards and Bell break rookie record for APY - that's impressive to me. Plus, he will NEVER get credit for spending half his career covering up O-line deficiencies.

His career in some ways mirrors HOF TEs Jackie Smith as a blocker, and has more Yards and Touchdowns in 9 seasons, than HOF TE Charlie Sanders did in 10, and has a real chance to surpass Ozzie Newsome in TDs, and crack 7k yards before career is over. Oh yea - has something that last 2 don't - 2 SB rings/3 appearances. I realize you have to adjust for numbers of games played - but the guy does have more numbers than even John Mackey in 1 less season.

The guy is a winner and, if he can get a 3rd ring - I'd go one farther and lobby for his HOF induction. I realize TEs in the HOF are a rare thing though.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-25-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-22-2014), Lady Steel (02-23-2014)