Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts
Default Re: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
He may have solidified himself as a top 10 pick in this combine. Tampa, Buffalo, Tennessee and the Giants all have needs at receiver. I'm lukewarm on the idea of Evans at 15 anyway, but I doubt he'll be there.
Apparently Evans 4.47 40 was much better than expected. Of course I wonder whether if this is like training to take the State bar exam or SATs and the improved "speed" is just gaming the combine system to be another combine wonder who looks great in shorts rather than any previously undetected gear into which Evans will be able to shift on Sundays

The track and field coach who trains select draft prospects for the combine knew how well Texas A&M teammates Johnny Manziel and Mike Evans would do in physical drills, especially the popular 40-yard dash. Flaherty understood there would be no more questions about Evans' breakaway speed once he ran. He knew that Manziel's athleticism would solidify his resume as perhaps the top quarterback in the draft.

Evans, expected to run maybe a 4.7-second 40-yard dash, ran a 4.47 on Sunday morning. That's fairly incredible for a 6-foot-5, 231-pound receiver. ...

Flaherty worked with both of them at Prolific Athletes, his training complex in San Diego, and was thrilled at the results, just not surprised.

"This is why I do what I do," Flaherty said. "This is the part I enjoy the most, seeing guys do well and hopefully setting them and their families up for a long, long time."

Evans' performance might literally be worth a few million dollars. As Flaherty pointed out, if Evans has a similar 40 time to top receiver prospect Sammy Watkins, who is 211 pounds, it gives teams something to think about (Watkins ran a 4.34 40 later on Sunday, which might solidify him as the top receiver in the draft). After Sunday's great performance, Evans might not get past the Rams, who have the 13th overall pick. He might even go a few spots higher.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...1539--nfl.html

This observer thinks his 4.47 40 understates his speed - if so no way Evans is around for the Steelers to take him

harrison'samonster (02-24-2014)