43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Jason Worilds Signs Transition Contract For 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Part of me wants to think Colbert was really cagey in how he played the transition tag card.

But, as this former front office guy notes, part of me is afraid signing Worilds to the one year tender amount is the equivalent of Colbert walking into the auto dealership, offering to pay $40,000 for a car the owner was willing to sell for $30,000, and the owner being afraid he better get Colbert to sign on the dotted line before he changes his mind.

The Steelers are as cap-strapped as any team, having just mortgaged the contract of 31-year-old tight end Heath Miller, and would have been vulnerable to an attack from another teamís offer sheet with a cap-loaded first year regarding Worilds.

Yet, surprisingly, Worilds immediately signed his tender and took himself off the market, eliminating any such threat to the Steelers. Such a move by Worilds suggests there might have been some concern that Pittsburgh would rescind the tender at some point with mounting cap issues, or that negotiations on a long-term contract were progressing before the tag deadline and the player (and agent) feel confident there will be resolution. In either case, my sense is that there will be some veteran casualties coming in Pittsburgh due to this tag or potential contract. There will be blood.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/04/nfl-franchise-tag/

Yep - Woodley and Taylor are going to need bandages
I think Ike takes a big pay cut to stay, Woodley on the other hand is gonzo.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 43Hitman For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-04-2014), Buddha Bus (03-05-2014)