Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,683 Times in 7,886 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Jason Worilds Signs Transition Contract For 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Hi Teegre,

I've actually got Cliff down with 9.5 sacks the year before he signed, not 7. However I'd still argue JW has had a more successful contract year (I never said career stats, just 'year'), and thus interest in his services.

Also Cliff and his agent turned down a 3/40mil deal, with DET prior to signing with SEA. So his signing of 2/15mil shows the dis-interest and/or market value for him at the time.

Not sure you can really suggest 6-7mil as a realistic value for JW this year in an open market. Even if you placed Cliff as the going rate at that time, time's moved on, the salary cap has risen, there's few proven rushers on the open market currently, and even fewer 26 year old proven rushers.
You just described my point (from the previous post) in different words: Cliff Avril had a higher market value, but signed for less... to be with a winning team. Kruger got paid higher than market value, because he signed with the Browns.

Worilds might be able to get $8-9 million from the Chargers (who need an OLB), or $13 million from the Browns (they suck), or only $4-5 million from the Niners (they don't need an OLB, but could use depth).

Ergo, I think that he plays for the Steelers for $6-7 million... because of a few factors: comfort with the system; no hassle of moving; and, a track-record in Pittsburgh of winning.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-05-2014)