View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #34
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679
Default Re: Steve Smith signs 3 Year Deal with Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
More speed than Hines, yeah that's a given. More shiftiness? Not so fast there Millers the sh!t. Ward's shiftiness is what allowed him to be such a great route runner and the best receiver in the history of this organization. You don't have to have elite speed to be really shifty, and I feel like Ward's shiftiness, physicality, and ability to run clean, crisp, routes is what really allowed him to do what he did for us for years on end.
I think a lot of people exaggerate Wards lack of speed as well. He was surely never a DeSean Jackson/mike Wallace fly route threat, but he wasn't Clod footed or moving w TE speed, I can even recall a couple of plays where he burned some damn good QBs, I remember an 86-yard catch and run against the pats in 04 and a 70+ Uarder from Charles Batch in 06 against Atlanta in which he even lost a shoe
His last two years he clearly lost some speed, but the generalization that he was always a slow wr who couldn't get separation is exaggerated
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikegrimey For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-19-2014), IowaSteeler927 (03-19-2014), Lokki (03-19-2014)