Old 07-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #24
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Penguins Reject Cuban/Marino Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Personally, I'm not blaming 66 for the entire ordeal. The pens move if they can't get the arena, simple as that. Even if one of the new owners wants "deep down" to move the pens to KC, it won't happen if the pens get that new arena.

We can be worried when I.O.C. doesn't get the slot license, the pig's plan B crumbles, and then the NHL doesn't block the owner from setting up plans to move the team. Let's just pray that things don't get that far down the line.

Mario has redone his player contracts several times during his career and has taken deferred payments in order to keep himself and the team in Pittsburgh where as he could have played it out, went to NY or Montreal and made a ton of cash and the team would have been long gone by now and we would be Detroit's farm team right now, but he didn't. The man has saved this team on two different occasions. While many were worrying about a new ball field for a single A ball team with ownership who doesn't give a damn and a new convention center, Mellon Arena was and still is decaying.

I'm also keeping in mind that it's not only Mario calling the shots. There are other investors as well that have a say as to what happens with the team. Mario Lemieux is a businessman. At this point I don't blame him for selling the team to the highest bidder. The politicians in this state have screwed him over on a few occasions and I recall people in this city laughing in his face when he stated he wanted a new arena for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Those are the people I put the majority of the blame towards.
You are, of course, correct about people and city officials - namely ex-Mayor Murphy the Moron - screwing him over and laughing at him when he wanted an arena. I still maintain to this day that the money they wasted on the convention center should have been earmarked for a new arena, which the Pens have and do deserve. Other than Fan Fest, have you ever seen that convention center full a majority of the time? And where are all the massive conventions that it was supposed to draw? $325 million down the drain, and now the Pens have to rely on slots money to get a building and hope that this shady bidder will in fact keep them here. And I do realize that Mario is not calling all of the shots - it's Ron Burkle who's really the one brokering the deal, not Mario, but he still has plenty of input. I really do thank Mario for all he did to save the team twice, and no, I can't blame him for selling to the highest bidder or being upset with local officials, but if he really cares about the city and fans, a condition should have been made that the potential buyer keep the team in Pittsburgh - IMO. All I can do is pray that things end up working out on the arena front.