View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #47
fortmemphis
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17288
Default Re: Getting to know your fellow Steeler Fever members

Just a quick rundown of a few things about me. Been coming to this forum for a couple seasons now. Really enjoy reading the perspectives of other Steeler fans, especially those who live in PIT.

As my handle indicates, I live in Memphis, Tennessee. Will turn 50 this year, so I have been following the Black and Gold since the first Super Bowl teams.

As a kid growing up in Memphis, we had no NFL team, so each Sunday we would get either the Cowboys or Steelers on TV. Something about the team just clicked with me and on top of that, I hated the Cowboys as well. Let me be clear, I hated Dallas BEFORE I started to love the Steelers. Cowboy fans are simply hard to take around here.

I will always remember when the Oilers were moving from HOU to Nashville to become the Tenn Titans. For 2 years they were supposed to play in Memphis while the stadium was being built in Nashville. Well Memphians never bonded with a team that was never going to be theirs and one Sunday when the Steelers came to Memphis to play the Oilers (Titans) during the first year, the Pittsburgh fans dominated the stadium. Out of 50,000 fans or more at the stadium in MEM, I bet there were 35,000-40,000 Steeler fans. Bud Adams, the Oilers' owner, was so mad that he left MEM after only 1 year and went to Nashville early and played the 2nd transition year at Vanderbilt's stadium.

It was a great moment for Steeler fans in this part of the country. You see so many SUVs and cars and trucks in MEM driving around with Steeler decals on them.

NFL Sunday Ticket has been the greatest thing for me as I finally get to watch ALL the Steeler games.

Well, that is a little about me. Look forward to the 2014 season and the great draft class we have.
fortmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote