Thread: Pens Tidbits
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #100
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Evgeni Malkin Staying or Coming?

Well, the only FA centers on the market now are.........

Jason Allison (31), Yanic Perreault (35), Trevor Linden (36), Jan Hrdina (30), Greg Johnson (35), Jim Dowd (37), Boyd Devereaux (27), Erik Rasmussen (29) and Clarke Wilm (29).

IF they're sure that Malkin will be here after this season...,

I'd almost rather see them look to someone already in house (Malone, probably). At the very least, I'd rather see them explore a short-term solution rather than give up something significant to get someone like Gomez who many would like to see grab from the Devils, (And I won't even discuss the fact that it's going to take a lot more than a marginal defenseman and a marginal prospect to get a player like Gomez. I understand they may have to move him, but LL isn't going to take pennies on the dollar like that. He'll find someone who has a prospect or two that fits their system and make a deal there.)

If you're going to bring someone in from the outside, it doesn't make any sense to me to get someone who would factor into the depth chart on the top two lines past this year. That's why I'd nix the Gomez idea. I'd rather spend the money on someone who can be had for a one-year, low-cost deal - someone like Greg Johnson or Yanic Perrault. I'll pass on Jason Allison (his injuries worry me) and I'm not sure about Hrdina. He had confidence issues back when Hlinka and Kehoe were coaching. I can't imagine he'd do too well under Therrien.