Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,630 Posts
Default Russian Gang Amasses Over a Billion Internet Passwords

Who says Russia is backward - in terms of cyberfraud Russia is #1

A Russian crime ring has amassed the largest known collection of stolen Internet credentials, including 1.2 billion user name and password combinations and more than 500 million email addresses, security researchers say.

The records, discovered by Hold Security, a firm in Milwaukee, include confidential material gathered from 420,000 websites, including household names, and small Internet sites. Hold Security has a history of uncovering significant hacks, including the theft last year of tens of millions of records from Adobe Systems....

Hackers did not just target U.S. companies, they targeted any website they could get, ranging from Fortune 500 companies to very small websites,” said Alex Holden, the founder and chief information security officer of Hold Security. “And most of these sites are still vulnerable.”...

There is worry among some in the security community that keeping personal information out of the hands of thieves is increasingly a losing battle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/te...=top-news&_r=0

So rather than try to be creative, just use 12345 or something else you can remember as your password - if your credit card account gets hacked ask the bank to waive your $50 exposure - cybersecurity is an oxymoron

And to anyone offended by any post under my name, that wasn't me - it was the Putin loving Russki who hacked Steelers Fever Forum and stole my password to post under my name
SteelerJT (08-05-2014)