Old 08-15-2006, 09:49 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,552 Times in 3,980 Posts
Default Re: Talks resume -- not that they matter to Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
It is all about the Benjamins; ignore the "I want to stay" talk.

We talk a lot about players not giving a home team discount to play for the Steelers, but loyalty is not going to get you special bonus points with the Steelers.

Carnell Lake played out of position at CB after Woodson tore up his knee in 1995 and again in 1997 after the Steelers made one of their worst FA signings ever with whomever they signed to replace Woodson at CB(Woolfolk?) and benched by midseason. After those sacrifices Cowher said Lake would always be a Steeler, but Lake was gone after 1998 when the Steelers would not come close to what Jax offered.

The Steelers should not overpay but players including Taylor know it is a business and need to take care of themselves. Ike's gamble is that after 1year as a starter either he will develop into a higher priced player this year or teams now will start to pick on shortcomings that the Seahawks appeared to exploit and his value will go down.

My point is that after this season someone's negotiating position will be better, with Taylor and the Steelers being as close to a deal now as they ever will be. It appears Taylor's price is beyond what the Steelers will budget for DBs with Troy's new contract looming.

Could be Coclough and McFadden at CB in 2007.
great points on lake but what did he ever do in jacksonville? he was at the end of his career. ike is at the beginning. sure the steelers missed out on plenty of good years out of woodson by letting him go but i think ike at this point of his career shows more upside than rod did when he walked.

word is colclough is having a really good camp. im sure ikes agent is meant to hear that word. if mcfadden proves to be what we want him to be we are in the exact same boat in 2-3 years. ben and troy will be signed and we will still be wondering which cb we will draft and develop with a 1st or 2nd round pick. the steelers cant hope to hit on them all, year after year.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote