View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #17
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Cowher persuades porter to report to camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit
I don't believe that the Steelers will release Porter next season. Where's the benefit in that? Whether he's on the roster or not he's still going to be a big salary cap number. If he's going to be a big salary cap number then the Steelers would be absolutely retarded to release him. If a player is going to cost you big then YOU MIGHT AS WELL KEEP HIM unless of course the player has nothing at all left in the tank. Porter stays, guaranteed.

You saw the same situation with Kordell Stewart. The Steelers kept Stewart a few years longer than they wanted to simply because of his salary cap number which was going to be present whether Kordell was on the roster or not. They had to get something for their money.
Actually, I don't believe it would be that high, since I don't think NFL contracts are guaranteed. If they release him next season, the hit would be his cap number minus his base salary. If that number is within reason and he doesn't get an extension, then more than likely Porter is gone, as I don't see him accepting less money to stay with the Steelers. They already have Harrison waiting in the wings, so it would make sense for them to release him.

If I'm wrong about any of this, please feel free to correct me.