View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #46
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer - Threatens to sit out entire season

Quote:
"In the NFL, you only have a short amount of time to maximize the most money you can get," said Ward, 29. "This is the business part of it. Before, I just went out and played; now I'm getting older. Once you hit 30, they think you're too old to play or whatever. It's maximizing the most money you can get."

Ward said he's in the best shape of his life and, at 204 pounds, the lightest he has weighed in a long time.

He said he's eager to reach camp and catch passes from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and that he does not want to hold out.

"I don't want to see it come to that. I love playing football, I love putting on the black and gold, but what's fair is fair, and that's all I can really ask for."
I still stand by the thinking that, unless the Steelers only offered him a paltry contract, how much easier is to live the rest of your life on 60 million than it is 50 million..not counting all the money he's made already and what he'll make when gets out from his NFL retirement and possible broadcasting opportunities. I mean, yah I know theres taxes and agents percentages and all that..but geez almighty. I understand Hines, I honestly do, I know he wants as much as he can get, hell anybody would, I would, but to be highest player in Steelers history, one of the highest paid WR's in the league, and you already have the respect of the league and your team mates and fans. What more can ya ask for !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote