View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: Steelers ace run-test

Quote:
In Cowher's run test, he and his assistants break down the roster basically by position. Running in groups of six or seven, players line up near the goal line at one of the practice fields at St. Vincent College. On the whistle of one of the trainers, the players sprint 40 yards and then jog back to the starting line. On the 14th sprint, they run full speed both ways.

Players who won their heats on the 14th and last sprints included cornerback Chidi Iwuoma, wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, strong safety Troy Polamalu, cornerback Willie Williams, linebacker Clark Haggans, running back Willie Parker, tight end Marco Battaglia, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, defensive end Brett Keisel, defensive end Elliott Harris, center Ben Claxton and Simmons.

While several Steelers looked impressive while running their sprints, none looked more impressive than Simmons and, to a degree, nose tackle Casey Hampton, who's also coming off season-ending knee surgery.

"I feel like I had something to prove," said Simmons, who looked like a raging bull as he ran his sprints. "And I was so happy to see Big Ham (Hampton) run so well. I didn't even think he was going to run today. But I'm glad he did. That just shows you the kind of heart he has."

This is as light as Casey's been since his rookie year. And you saw how Kendall finished his last (sprint). That's one focused player right now." Cowher said.

One of the Steelers who finished last was Porter, although he ran his first 13 sprints with relative ease despite the fact Cowher jawed at him for taking off before the starting whistle on a few sprints.

"Stay onsides, 55!" Cowher yelled at Porter, who wears jersey No. 55.

"Man, you talk to me too much!" Porter yelled back.
I don't like hearing Porter finished last, and I don't like hearing he yelled at coach. He is a thug ....his play, and maybe his effort have benn slipping in recent years. I also don't like hearing Willie Williams won his heat. Where was all "speed" from the young guys. For those of us that want to see a youth movement at cornerback....this could be bad if Cowher likes first impressions. Old man Williams is fighting for his starting job!

I think we all knew Troy would win his heat. :) I don't think he gets tired like humans do. I bet he could have ran for another couple hours or so. :D