View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 12:24 AM   #26
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Will you welcome back Hines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Fury
what scares me is this: I heard Mort say on NFL Live last night that Hines is willing to sit out until week 6 when he has to report to be elegible for free agency. I can't picture this happening. I don't know how I would feel if it came to this. I keep expecting to wake up and hear something happened over night and there he is in camp smiling it up.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05225/553553.stm

Despite their stance of not negotiating with players who are not in training camp, the Steelers continue to have discussions with the agents for holdout receiver Hines Ward and have talked directly to the four-time Pro Bowl performer.

Nonetheless, the Steelers are no closer to resolving their differences with Ward, who is seeking a contract extension, and are now being led to believe he eventually will report later in the season merely to play out the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

Ward would have to report to the Steelers by the 10th week of the regular season and be on the 53-man roster for the final six games to be credited with fulfilling the final year of his contract.

Once he does that, he can become an unrestricted free agent and is free to sign with another team.

Ward's agent, Eugene Parker, could not be reached for comment.

A report on ESPN Thursday night said Ward is resigned to sitting out the first six games of the season before reporting. When asked yesterday about the report, coach Bill Cowher said, "I don't want to comment on that."
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote