View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: OK - Why Has It All Come Apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrice View Post
Fine, if not blind optimism, in your case its anti-realism coupled with the typical "I'm a better fan than you" attitude. Sure the problems can be fixed, but they had a week off to fix some things and the pass protection issue is one we've had for several years now. Its obvious that a couple of these problems are here to stay. Shattering Ben's confidence requires that there has to be something there to shatter in the first place. Anybody who pays attention to the games can see Cowher isn't nearly as active on the sidelines as he has been in years past.

If you really are a "Hometown" person, than you should be used to people in Pittsburgh REQUIRING more of a work ethic from their sports teams than they are getting this season. This reaction from most of the people on here doesn't surprise me. I worked at Irvin and E.T. steel mills for a couple years during college, and some of the biggest Stiller fans I have ever met in my life worked there and even they had some of the same reactions as I am seeing here today. Sure the team wasn't as good back then, but those guys could smell the difference between lack of skill and lackluster hustling. The talent is there, no doubt about it, its just in some cases the players/coaches aren't doing their jobs.

I may not be as old as you but I've been a fan for 27 some odd years now and never during that time has my "fandom" been idealistic.
Anti-realism? LMAO!!!!! Mmmmkay. Reading some of your very own comments last night in the game thread shows a bit of contradiction to what you state above, Btrice.

Nothing is or should be obvious to me or any other knowledgeable football fan only FOUR weeks into a season. Being a "hometown" gal most of my life, I know all too well what Pittsburgh fans, especially when it comes to the Steelers, "expect" from their team and I've always felt it was totally unrealistic and unfair. No team, whether it be a professional football club, hockey team, baseball or basketball team, is going to have a winning season every single year or play up to potential every single game, but yet some of you expect nothing less. All pro sports franchises have highs and lows but the true test of a team's character is how they handle the highs and resolve the lows. Only 4 weeks into a 16 game season, I'd think it's fair to suffice that this team has more than ample time to resolve its "lows", work on its problem areas and at the very minimum, make this season at least somewhat respectable.

As for your comment that I have an "I'm a better fan than you" attitude, I'm not going to elaborate on it but I will say this. Those who have come to know me here know all too well what a totally ridiculous statement that is. I am an optimist regarding life in general, as well as towards the teams I love and am loyal to - I focus on the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives. The Rooneys and Cowher have rarely let us down in the past and I'm going to continue to believe that they will come up with the right recipe to turn the team back in the right direction.

P.S. As far as "paying attention to Bill Cowher on the sidelines" - I'm too engrossed in paying attention to the the game itself to watch our HC's mannerisms and animations on the sidelines or lack thereof.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote