Thread: Nate Washington
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #22
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: Nate Washington

Sorry for going off topic..... Where was I? Oh yeah, here is a bit from the Post on Nate Washington.

Washington impressive

Wide receiver Nate Washington probably practices in front of more fans at St. Vincent College than when he played at Division II Tiffin College, near Toledo, Ohio.

And he never had played in front of a crowd as large as the 57,276 who watched the preseason victory Monday night against the Eagles.

The crowd size, though, did not intimidate Washington, a rookie free agent. He led the Steelers with four catches for 76 yards, including a 33-yarder, and continued to impress the coaching staff.

"I was just trying to beat it in my head this was no different than college," Washington said. "I knew it wasn't, but I was just trying to beat it in my head, regardless of it all, that I still had to step on some grass, between four lines and play some football. At the end of the day, I was just trying to make my mind think it was just the same as any other game I played."

Washington did what he does best -- catch the ball. He set eight school records at Tiffin, a school known for soccer, including career receptions (212), yards (4,214) and touchdowns (47). He once caught 13 passes for 299 yards in one game.

Steelers scout Phil Kreidler watched several of Washington's games on film and never saw him a drop a pass. Not bad for a player who never received any Division I offers while playing wide receiver and defensive back in high school in Toledo.

"Hard work pays off," said Washington, who is 6-1, 195 pounds. "I definitely developed later. I worked hard every day. I studied a lot of film -- that's what I do, I love watching film, that's my thing -- and I watched the guys who have been down the road that I'm trying to get down."

Washington could make the team as a possible fifth receiver, but he is more than likely destined to be a practice-squad player. Nonetheless, he decided to sign with the Steelers because he appreciated the way he was treated by the organization.

"I really came here because I felt the best love here," Washington said. "These are genuine people in this area, and I like Pittsburgh a lot. They treated me good when I was here on a visit and when I came here in minicamp they treated me real well. I was excited about coming here."