Old 10-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #211
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I'd love to see why the man piled up 124 PIMs last season, but I don't want to see 124 PIMs. Not with this defense. I love old school hockey, I've been going to games since I was four years old. I enjoy the hard hits and when the gloves come off. At the same time, I don't want to watch this team killing penalties with a mediocre defense on a regular basis. We can play a physical game and not take dumb penalties.

As for the way the game is being called. I guess we agree to disagree. I personally have no problem with the way the game is being called. It's nice to see that the clutching and hooking is finally being called. I enjoy seeing what a Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Gionta can do when they don't have to carry a player on their back. Do I catch myself saying "Oh!! That's a weak call!!"? Sure and at times they are weak calls. It happens. But then I think back to the days when Lemieux and Jagr were practically getting raped on the ice and not a whistle blown.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad that they are cracking down on the clutching and grabbing. I was one of the fans screaming the loudest for changing or enforcing the rules to open up the game. But I believe they went overboard, to the point where it's taken a lot of the aggressiveness and physical play out of the game. Players are afraid to hit or finish their checks for fear of getting a penalty, many of the hooking calls are totally bogus, and defensemen are at a complete disadvantage in front of their own net. Plus, they need to get rid of the misconduct penalty for instigating - enforcers can't enforce nor can players stick up for their teammates like Malone did if they know they're going to sit in the box for 17 minutes. There has to be a happy medium, where the offensive players can shine while the defense can still do their jobs. Hopefully the players will adjust to the rules to bring that medium, but right now, offense rules.