View Single Post
Old 09-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
tootalltoscore
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 358
Default Ben in 2nd season

I have read a lot on the forum and other places online about the concerns of Ben both preseason and the end of last seaon/playoffs. One question that keeps coming back to me is just what would you guys have been saying if Ben had had a TD in every preseason game so far. Please believe like myself, stop being negative.

So, as I really believe that he can come through here are my thoughts.

First the Steelers are a ground dominating team, time of possession (34:00) the best in the NFL last season, historically the Steelers have played their best football with this scenario. Ben actually adds another dimension to this as he is such an accomplished runner himself.

Second, ok so we do not have the leagues best WR corp, teams know we are going to predominantly run the football, but we do have two potentially lethal aerial threats in Hines Ward and Heath Miller, defences cannot cover everyone all the time. Ben needs to read the situation on the field and complete perhaps in as few as 1 in 6 attempts, I'm expecting runs in 4 of 6 attempts. The team really could have done with Plax staying as he provided a good balanced attack but at the end of the day he was selfish, he wanted money and not a ring, had he been here and with Heath Miller we would have had a truly awe inspiring offence. Even with his constant whining.

Third, as a rookie he did a great job, not too much playbook, things kept simple as he came in far earlier than expected, but he proved he could do the job, he claims that he wants to be known as the best quarterback ever, a lofty thought indeed. He is, I believe, at the moment really struggling to live up to his own billing, he needs some help from someone - even perhaps a shrink - he is the player, he thinks he is, but, needs confirmation from someone that he trusts and believes. Losing Plax may have affected Ben more than we know. Overall in the Steeler scheme of things he does not have to attempt anything that is record breaking, it will come as he develops and as the team adds the important cog of another decent WR to open up the offence.

Finally, although this seems a negative stat at first glance, it sums up my thoughts as to why Ben will overcome any problems, this comment http://www.thefantasyfootballtimes.c...t.aspx?CID=185 under heading Rookie Sensations at bottom of piece, merely confirms that Ben will not be throwing his way into the record books this coming season, therefore interceptions will be kept down and his confidence will be intact.

ps You guys do not know me, but most of my friends consider me to be the most pessimistic person they know, in spite of this I really, really believe that we have someone special for at least the next 12 years - god willing - who will give us 3 Superbowl rings.

pps We really owe Coach Cowher big time for drafting this guy to our favourite team, when all around were screaming for us to take Shawn Andrews.
tootalltoscore is offline   Reply With Quote