View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #516
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
Staal is better off getting more Ice Time in the minors than being in Pittsburgh playing 4th line minutes.

I was watching a TV show up here and they were asking about the future of Therrien and they were saying that Mike Keenan would be a great fit in Pittsburgh.
One problem, we can't send him to the minors (age restrictions). We had two options in the beginning of the season when it came to Jordan Staal.

1) Keep him here.

2) Send him to juniors.

My first comments dealing with that particular situation was that the kid deseves to stay up on this roster ONLY if he plays on one of the top three lines. IMO, he had nothing to gain in juniors. I still stand by my opinion.

As for Keenan. If Keenan became this teams HC I would strongly debate taking the Fort Duquesne Bridge. I can't stand Mike Keenan. Personally, I don't feel Therrien should take complete blame for the way this team has played as of late. It's not his fault Ryan Malone can't score on a open net. It's not his fault Melichar plays horrible defense. It's not his fault Ouellet, Recchi, Talbot, Ruutu and Ekman can't seem to find the back of the net.

At the same time, I don't agree with his line management. The Recchi-Sid-Malone line is just not cutting it in my book. Personally, I would put Armstrong back on that line. Putting Staal on the 4th line is even worse. Eventually he's going to have to set the lines and let these kids play together for a longer period of time. The majority of players (John Cullen during an interview at the Atlanta game) will tell you it's not easy playing on team where the lines are switched up night after night. Especially with a young team. You can't mold.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-11-2006 at 10:39 AM.