View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Caroline's Rum Cake

This is the most delicious rum cake I've ever tasted! This recipe comes from one helluva cook (who also happens to be my first husband's wife -LOL!) She and her sister published a cookbook and I purchased one and am so glad I did- this book has every recipe in it known to mankind and all are easy as pie! This rum cake is very simple to make and a major crowd pleaser! I made a bunch of 'em using loaf pans instead of the Bundt pan and gave one to everyone in my family along with their gifts on Christmas Eve.

Caution - the cake is pretty "potent", so if you're driving, I'm recommend only eating 1-2 slices - LOL! Enjoy!

CAROLINE'S RUM CAKE

Cake:
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 (3-3/4 oz.) pkg. vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs (you can substitute 1 cup of Eggbeaters here)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup dark rum (80 proof - Bacardi Select is excellent for this purpose!)
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour pan(s). Mix cake mi, puddings, eggs, water, rum and oil until smooth. Pour into prepared pan(s). Bake 1 hour. Cook for 25 minutes. Invert onto serving dish. Prick top of cake with cooking fork.

Rum Glaze:
1/4 lb. butter (can substitute margarine)
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar (can substitute Splenda)
1/2 cup dark rum

Bring butter, sugar and water to boil. Boil about 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Remoe from heat - cool. Add rum. Pour over cake slowly allowing cake to absorb glaze.

Icing:
4 oz. chocolate chips
1 stick butter (or margarine)

Melt butter and chocolate. Drizzle over cake top. Top with chopped nuts.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote