Thread: Pens Tidbits
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 02:17 AM   #914
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Hey, don't hurry back on our account, Melichar - the team's done just fine without you! Also, so what if Gonchar has scored most of his points on the power play. Sheldon Souray and Dion Phaneuf score the majority of their points on the PP - do you see anyone complaining about them?

Notebook: Pens' Melichar on verge of return

Thursday, February 8, 2007

• Josef Melichar has been out nearly a month with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee and is back skating in full practices with the team. But it is unclear when the veteran defenseman will dress for a game. "The doctor said it's my call, and I'm almost ready, but it's a tough situation," Melichar said Wednesday. Melichar will make the trip with the team to Philadelphia and Toronto. Coach Michel Therrien was noncommittal about whether Melichar would make his return tonight against Philadelphia. "He's ready to play," Therrien said. "But we'll see."

• Even though Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin don't play on the same line anymore, the Penguins centers are currently the best twosome in the NHL. Crosby leads the league with 86 points; Malkin is 14th and leads all rookies with 26 goals and 59 points. Their combined total of 145 points is the best of any teammates in the league, three points higher than Tampa Bay's Martin St. Louis and Vincent Lecavalier (142), who are second and third, respectively, in scoring. "I don't really think about it, but I think that we're both trying to contribute as much as we can," Crosby said.

• Sergei Gonchar has been one of the best players in the NHL this season on the power play and is tied for fourth in the league with 32 power-play points. At even strength, however, Gonchar has been anything but powerful. The Penguins defenseman has only nine points at even strength, which ties him for 83rd in the league among defensemen.

Digits

0 - Goals scored in the NHL this season at 3-on-3.

2 - Goals scored this season in the NHL in 3-on-5 shorthanded situations, including one against the Penguins.

27 - Difference in the plus-minus ratings for Sidney Crosby (plus-13) and Alexander Ovechkin (minus-14) this season.