Thread: Pens Tidbits
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 05:05 AM   #933
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

You know, I wouldn't mind it if Fedoruk played for the Pens - he's the kind of enforcer we need - but he really needs to quit listening to the BS that other people say about Sid. He does NOT, nor has he EVER thought that he shouldn't be touched. The kid gets hooked, held, tripped, high-sticked, elbowed, and recently speared and butt-ended...but when have you ever seen him whine and cry about it to the media? Kiss my ass, Todd, and have another loss courtesy of the best player in the league, whether you like it or not.

Penguins Notebook: Petrovicky adds scoring to resume

Friday, February 09, 2007
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHILADELPHIA -- Ronald Petrovicky won't be bumped up to the Penguins' No. 1 line anytime soon. He isn't likely to turn up on the top power-play unit, either.

But he has demonstrated a bit of a scoring touch in recent weeks, with two goals in the six games before the Penguins won the shootout to beat Philadelphia, 5-4, at the Wachovia Center last night.

"I hit a few posts before that -- more than a few -- but they never went in for me," he said. "The last couple of weeks, they've been going in."

Petrovicky missed the first 13 games of the season while recovering from offseason hip surgery, then sat out four more before making his Penguins debut Nov. 18. He has moved in and out of the lineup since, although last night marked the seventh game in a row in which he has played.

And, even though goal-scoring is a relatively minor element in his job description as a fourth-liner, he acknowledged that failing to get one in his first 14 appearances this season was a bit troubling.

"If you don't score for an extended period of time, you wonder what's going on," he said.

That drought ended when he got a goal in the Penguins' 7-2 victory at Phoenix Jan. 27, and he picked up the winner in their 2-0 decision against Washington Saturday.

"Hopefully, I'll keep contributing to the team and we can win hockey games," he said. "Because it's a great thing when all four lines are playing well."

No spot for Melichar

Defenseman Josef Melichar, who has received medical clearance to resume playing after recovering from a sprained left knee, sat out his 12th consecutive game last night.

Coach Michel Therrien said he had no reservations about putting Melichar back in uniform last night, but that no one on the Penguins' defense had played their way out of a job.

"I'm not afraid to make changes," Therrien said. "But, at the same time, I have to respect the good work players do on the ice. I like the way our defensemen are playing. I have no reason to take any of those guys out."

Therrien went on to praise the way his defensemen consistently have been willing to absorb checks to buy the extra time often needed to make an effective pass.

"It takes courage to take a hit to make a play," he said. "They're ready to sacrifice themselves for the success of the team."

A nod to Crosby

The Bucks County Courier Times, a suburban Philadelphia newspaper, polled seven Flyers about whether they would rather have Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin on their team. Five chose Crosby.

Left winger Simon Gagne said he picked him because "he makes the players around him look good" and "Crosby is the kind of player who can win a game by himself."

Philadelphia enforcer Todd Fedoruk selected Ovechkin because, "Crosby is a player who doesn't think certain things should happen to him."

Ekman expects to return

Winger Nils Ekman intends to play again this season and seems optimistic he will be able to do it sometime next month.

Ekman's left elbow was dislocated Dec. 29 and, even though he is skating with conditioning coach Stephane Dube, he has not been cleared to work out with his teammates. He doesn't have a target date for returning, but suggested after his on-ice session yesterday that it should be a matter of weeks, not months.

"I'd be really surprised if I don't play in March," he said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07040/760731-61.stm

Last edited by X-Terminator; 02-09-2007 at 05:23 AM.