Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 AM   #1102
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Gei is my fave, but Jarkko is climbing up my fave ladder rather quickly, LOL!

Excellent article, XT, and very much on point. It's nice to see Gonchar finally getting the credit he deserves. He was on the ice almost non-stop and held things together while Eaton was out and together they make quite the dynamic duo. Many fans don't bother to look at his defensive abilities and talents. I laugh at some of these people at the games who expect him to rough it up - that isn't his schtick and never has been. I'm glad the Pens realize the gem they have in Gonchar - I clearly saw it last season amid the boos and hisses coming from the stands.
Yeah I know - there were many times you wanted to give some of those "fans" a water shower - LOL! The sad part of this is if he finishes in the top 3 or 5 in scoring among defensemen, he won't get any consideration at all for the Norris Trophy, even though he'd have outscored some likely candidates as Chris Pronger, Scott Niedermayer and maybe Sheldon Souray. He is only one point behind Niklas Lidstrom right now, who will most likely win it even though it's possible Gonchar could outscore him. The reason? Lidstrom's a +38, which leads the league, while Gonchar's a -1 right now. But it is nice to see get some credit for the job he's done this season.