Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #1103
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
WOW!!! Finally an editorial by Smizik that isn't negative!!! Very well written and right on the money. These guys are gelling with each other quite nicely and Therrien being patient and trying different line combos until he found the right mixes has really paid off. Not too many teams out there who can boast of having 4 productive lines.

While I am obviously quite impressed and ecstatic over both Crosby's and Malkin's development, I am pleasantly shocked at how well Jordan Staal has started coming into his own. I, like many others, thought the Pens would ship him off to Juniors this season but this kid has well earned his spot on the team - he's played amazingly well for a young man barely 18 years old.

This season has been very exciting for us Pens fans and I have a feeling the best is yet to come!
My jaw hit the floor too when I read this - Smizik must have hit the wacky weed last night - LOL! I think Michel Therrien deserves a lot of credit for Staal's development, but the kid has helped himself with his natural talent and tremendous hockey sense that many veterans don't possess. You can't teach that - you either have it or you don't. How many 18 year olds are counted on late in games for defense, or to kill an important power play in OT? It truly is an amazing story. Wow...just thinking about all this talent on the team right now, and that they will all get better...it's a scary thought. It's a dynasty in the making, no question about it.