SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Pirates' Nady being tested for chronic condition

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07055/764830-100.stm

Pirates' Nady being tested for chronic condition

Saturday, February 24, 2007
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BRADENTON, Fla. - Outfielder Xavier Nady, hospitalized earlier in the week for intestinal inflammation, will have tests Monday to determine if he could have a chronic condition.

He said today that, upon doctors' request for information about his family's background, it was determined that one of his cousins has Crohn's disease, a lifelong condition that can cause excruciating pain in the digestive area and related weight loss.

"The doctors came in and asked if anyone in the family had it, and we said, 'No, we don't think so,' " Nady said. "My mom called the day I got released and said we just found out one of my cousins had it. So ... we will see."

Professional athletes can compete with Crohn's, but it requires significant adjustments in lifestyle and eating habits.

Nady confirmed that the doctors' initial diagnosis was -- and remains, for the time being -- a viral infection in the intestine, which would be the best-case scenario.

"I hope it stays that way," he said.

Nady said the stomach pain began Sunday night and that he kept it to himself for a day before telling the Pirates' medical staff about it Tuesday. He checked in to Manatee Memorial Hospital that night and checked out Thursday.

The symptoms, Nady said, have improved.

"It's getting better. I'm on a limited diet, but I'm able to eat without having stomach pains. It just goes through phases where it hits me every once in a while like a ton of bricks, and I hunch over. It's no fun."

Nady said he did not feel the pain before Sunday, but added that it was similar to what he experienced in the five days leading up to an emergency appendectomy May 30, 2006. It is not known if that ailment and this one are related.

"I know I have the inflamed intestine, but they have to determine what else is going on," Nady said.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote