SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Pirates' Nady being tested for chronic condition

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_494843.html

Pirates' Nady to be tested for Crohn's disease

By Rob Biertempfel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 24, 2007

BRADENTON, Fla. - Xavier Nady was back in the Pirates' clubhouse Saturday morning, but still does not know the cause of the intestinal inflammation that forced him to begin spring training with a three-day hospital stay.

Nady went through very brief, limited workouts. He will under go more medical tests Monday to try to determine whether he has a chronic condition.

The Pirates have identified Nady's illness only as intestinal inflammation. However, that condition can include several diseases, such as Crohn's disease.

Crohn's disease affects the deepest layers of the digestive tract, causing ulcers, usually in the small and large intestines.

The disease is a chronic condition that may flare up off and on during a person's life. It can be controlled with medications, but there is no known cure.

The cause Crohn's disease is not known, but researchers believe genetic and perhaps also environmental factors play a role.

Thursday, Nady discovered one of his cousins suffers from Crohn's.

"Originally, I didn't know," Nady said. "My mom called the day I got released (from the hospital) and said, 'We just found out your cousin has it.' So, we will see."

Monday night, the day before position players reported to camp, Nady began getting abdominal pains, fever and other flu-like symptoms. His condition worsened the next day, and he was admitted to Manatee Memorial Hospital.

"It was a similar pain to what I had last year," said Nady, who had an emergency appendectomy last May. "I knew something wasn't right."

Nady had a battery of tests, including a CT scan. He was released from the hospital Thursday, and is taking an antibiotic.

"I can only really eat soft foods," Nady said. "I'm having a hard time. I've eaten more soup this week than I have in the past year. It's getting better, but every once in a while, it just hits me again and I have to hunch over."

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote