Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #1437
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Notebook: Pens' Ruutu wants another chance in shootout

Saturday, March 17, 2007

• Winger Jarkko Ruutu didn't score when he took part in the Penguins' shootout Tuesday night, but Ruutu said he was 5 for 7 last season with the Vancouver Canucks. "It didn't work last time, but we'll see next time if I get a chance," Ruutu said Friday. "I know the things I'm good at and things I'd like to do. It depends on the goalie and how he reacts. I think the goalie last time knew what I was going to do, so I'll have to switch it up." Ruutu took the place of Evgeni Malkin, who is 3 for 12 in shootouts this season. Erik Christensen is tied with Mikko Koivu for the most shootout goals in the NHL with eight (on 13 attempts).

• Defenseman Sergei Gonchar had to break in a new pair of skates last night after his old ones fell apart during the middle of Wednesday's game against the New Jersey Devils. The rivets in Gonchar's skate broke, causing the blade to separate from the boot, and that allowed John Madden to get a breakaway on goaltender Jocelyn Thibault. "Imagine how I felt," Gonchar said. "Guy gets a breakaway, I couldn't skate. I had to just look at him."

• Penguins goaltending prospect David Brown was named the Central Collegiate Hockey Association Player of the Year. Brown, whom the Penguins drafted in the eighth round (228th overall) in 2004, led the NCAA in goals-against average (1.64) and posted a .928 save percentage with a 27-5-3 record. Notre Dame won its first CCHA regular season title and finished the year as the No. 1-ranked team in the country. He also is one of 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Award for college's best player.

• The Penguins scratched forwards Chris Thorburn, Ronald Petrovicky and Nils Ekman and defenseman Joel Kwiatkowski last night against Montreal.

Digits

18 - Wins the Penguins had through 71 games last season.

48 - Points the Penguins had through 71 games last season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_498219.html